BELLMORE, N.Y. - Police on Long Island say a fire department volunteer has been shot and the suspect killed at the scene of an auto accident on Long Island.
A police spokeswoman said the volunteer did not sustain life threatening injuries and was taken to a local hospital. She did not know the nature of his volunteer work with the department.
Police said a man driving north about 10 p.m. Tuesday on Bellmore Avenue in Bellmore hit a utility pole. They said when the local fire department arrived, the man fired shots, striking the volunteer. Police said officers fatally shot the driver when he also threatened them. The spokeswoman did not have the names of either the volunteer or the driver.
No other information was immediately available.
- WPIX: Man Shoots Firefighter Who Was Trying To Help Him
- LIHerald: Bellmore Firefighter Gunned Down
- SmithtownRadio: Suspect Whot Shot Fireman Gunned Down By Police
- CBS New York: Emergency Responder In Hospital Following Shooting
- NYPOst: Psycho Shoots Rescuer In LI Rampage
- NBC New York: First Responder Shot After Racing To Accident
- STATter911: Firefighter Shot On Long Island At Crash Scene