Eight Hospitalized in Pittsburgh Daycare CO Incident

Cause of the potentially deadly carbon monoxide leak was pinpointed to the furnace.


 
 

TONY LARUSSA, Pittsburgh Tribune Review | | Tuesday, April 5, 2011


Five toddlers and three adults were hospitalized this afternoon after becoming ill from carbon monoxide fumes at a North Side day care center, according to authorities.

Employees at the Community Preschool and Nursery in the 100 block of East North Avenue called 911 shortly after 2 p.m. after several people complained of dizziness, headaches and nausea, said Richard Linn, a Pittsburgh EMS district chief.

An emergency physician and paramedics checked the carbon monoxide levels in the blood of people in the building and administered oxygen to victims at the scene before deciding that levels were high enough for some that they should be treated at a hospital. Three of the children were taken by ambulance  to Children’s Hospital of Pittsburgh of UPMC. Two other kids were taken to Children’s by private vehicles. The adults were able to walk the half block to Allegheny General Hospital, Linn said.

The cause of the potentially deadly carbon monoxide leak was pinpointed to the furnace in the daycare center’s building, Linn said.

The gas company suspended service to the building so repairs can be made.



Copyright © 2013 LexisNexis, a division of Reed Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved. Terms and Conditions | Privacy Policy


Connect: Have a thought or feedback about this? Add your comment now
Related Topics: News, Pittsburgh, carbon monoxide poisoning, carbon monoxide, Pittsburgh EMS, daycare, pediatrics

What's Your Take? Comment Now ...

Featured Careers & Jobs in EMS





 

Get JEMS in Your Inbox

 

Fire EMS Blogs


Blogger Browser

Today's Featured Posts

 

EMS Airway Clinic

Innovation & Progress

Follow in the footsteps of these inspirational leaders of EMS.
More >

Multimedia Thumb

New Item on Iowa Helicopter Helps Save Patient’s Life

Supply of blood recently added to LifeFlight helicopter.
Watch It >


Multimedia Thumb

Shooting Inside Pennsylvania Hospital

Early reports of one person dead in Darby hospital.
Watch It >


Multimedia Thumb

Anchorage Chief Proposes Shifting Fire, Medic Crews

Officials debate ways to reduce paramedic burnout.
Watch It >


Multimedia Thumb

Kansas City Woman Thanks EMTs Who Saved Her Life

CPR save highlights community awareness program
Watch It >


Multimedia Thumb

VividTrac offered by Vivid Medical - EMS Today 2013

VividTrac, affordable high performance video intubation device.
Watch It >


Multimedia Thumb

LMA MAD Nasal™

Needle-free intranasal drug delivery.
Watch It >


Multimedia Thumb

Braun Ambulances' EZ Door Forward

Helps to create a safer ambulance module.
Watch It >


More Product Videos >