Eight Hospitalized in Pittsburgh Daycare CO Incident - News - @ JEMS.com


Eight Hospitalized in Pittsburgh Daycare CO Incident

Cause of the potentially deadly carbon monoxide leak was pinpointed to the furnace.


 
 

TONY LARUSSA, Pittsburgh Tribune Review | | Tuesday, April 5, 2011


Five toddlers and three adults were hospitalized this afternoon after becoming ill from carbon monoxide fumes at a North Side day care center, according to authorities.

Employees at the Community Preschool and Nursery in the 100 block of East North Avenue called 911 shortly after 2 p.m. after several people complained of dizziness, headaches and nausea, said Richard Linn, a Pittsburgh EMS district chief.

An emergency physician and paramedics checked the carbon monoxide levels in the blood of people in the building and administered oxygen to victims at the scene before deciding that levels were high enough for some that they should be treated at a hospital. Three of the children were taken by ambulance  to Children’s Hospital of Pittsburgh of UPMC. Two other kids were taken to Children’s by private vehicles. The adults were able to walk the half block to Allegheny General Hospital, Linn said.

The cause of the potentially deadly carbon monoxide leak was pinpointed to the furnace in the daycare center’s building, Linn said.

The gas company suspended service to the building so repairs can be made.



Copyright © 2013 LexisNexis, a division of Reed Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved. Terms and Conditions | Privacy Policy


Connect: Have a thought or feedback about this? Add your comment now
Related Topics: News, Pittsburgh, carbon monoxide poisoning, carbon monoxide, Pittsburgh EMS, daycare, pediatrics

What's Your Take? Comment Now ...

Buyer's Guide Featured Companies

Featured Careers & Jobs in EMS

Get JEMS in Your Inbox

 

Fire EMS Blogs


Blogger Browser

Today's Featured Posts

 

EMS Airway Clinic

Improving Survival from Cardiac Arrest Using ACD-CPR + ITD

Using active compression-decompression CPR with an ITD has been shown to improve 1-year survival from cardiac arrest by 33%.
More >

Multimedia Thumb

D.C. Fire and EMS Crews Blame New Technology for Patient’s Death

Delayed response blamed on recurring dispatch problems.
Watch It >


Multimedia Thumb

Suspect Steals, Crashes Maryland Ambulance

One killed, others injured in Prince George’s County crash.
Watch It >


Multimedia Thumb

Fire Breaks Out in Chicago Hospital

Kitchen fire in Presence Resurrection Medical Center spreads to second floor.
Watch It >


Multimedia Thumb

Tennessee Trench Rescue

Worker pulled from Roane County worksite.
More >


Multimedia Thumb

Time’s Ebola Firefighters

Doctors, nurses and others saluted for fighting virus.
More >


Multimedia Thumb

Car Strikes Manhattan Pedestrians

Seven people hurt when car jumps curb.
More >


Multimedia Thumb

Braun Ambulances' EZ Door Forward

Helps to create a safer ambulance module.
Watch It >


Multimedia Thumb

Field Bridge Xpress ePCR on iPad, Android, Kindle Fire

Sneak peek of customizable run forms & more.
Watch It >


Multimedia Thumb

The AmbuBus®, Bus Stretcher Conversion Kit - EMS Today 2013

AmbuBus®, Bus Stretcher all-hazards preparedness & response tool
Watch It >


More Product Videos >