Choking Toddler Recovers after 'Scary' Incident that Damaged His Brain - News - @ JEMS.com


Choking Toddler Recovers after 'Scary' Incident that Damaged His Brain

The paramedic said the food was lodged underneath the boy's vocal cords


 
 

Brent Ruffner, Valencia County News-Bulletin | | Thursday, February 23, 2012


BELEN, N.M. -- Two-year-old Glenn Contreras-Mares rested comfortably in the arms of a Belen firefighter on a recent night at the local fire station.

Six weeks earlier, the scene was much different when the little boy was rushed to an awaiting ambulance after he had a piece of sausage lodged in his throat.

The boy was eating dinner with his mother, Elizabeth Mares, and grandmother, Jeana Lucero, when he began choking.

"He went limp," Lucero said. "He was blue from head to toe. All I could think was, 'Oh my God, oh my God, please don't die.' But he pretty much already was -- he was dying."

According to medical records, the boy was having a cardiac arrest and unable to cough up the piece of food as emergency crews arrived on scene.

Belen Fire Capt. Joe Saiz and emergency medical technician Chris Martinez were the first responders and decided to take him to meet the ambulance to save valuable time.

"We needed to get where we were going," Saiz said. "He was limp. We just started doing what we are trained to do."

Saiz said part of that training involved getting to the home in under three minutes and performing CPR on the boy until paramedics could work on getting the food dislodged.

Living Cross Ambulance paramedic Kevin Druce said the food was lodged underneath the boy's vocal cords, and just when it appeared the food was coming free, the 2-year-old would try to take a breath and the sausage would go back under his vocal cords.

The boy has enlarged tonsils that make his airway abnormally small, his grandmother said.

Druce said paramedics used a tool that could move the vocal cords and were able to remove the piece of food on their second attempt.

"It took us about 40 seconds to a minute, once we got started," Druce said.

The team was able to get a pulse while traveling along Interstate 25 to Presbyterian Hospital in Albuquerque.

Glenn spent six days in the hospital and contracted pneumonia and strep throat while he was trying to recover.

Doctors found he had brain damage in the lower part of his cerebellum that initially affected his motor skills.

"It was scary," Lucero said.

The toddler was signed up for physical therapy three weeks after the incident, but constant help from his family has apparently paid off.

"Last week, they called and said they couldn't put him into their physical therapy because he was too intelligent," Lucero said. "We had already rehabilitated him to the point that he was where he was (mentally) before the accident happened.

"We read to him, we taught him how to walk and talk all over again," she said.

Lucero and Mares recently took the boy to meet his rescuers at the Belen Fire Department to the surprise of the emergency crew who saved his life. The family thanked the emergency medical personnel with gifts.

Now, Glenn is able to talk, play and do other things like any other 2-year-old boy.

"It's a blessing," Mares said. "It gives me a different outlook on life."



Copyright © 2013 LexisNexis, a division of Reed Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved. Terms and Conditions | Privacy Policy


Connect: Have a thought or feedback about this? Add your comment now
Related Topics: News, choking, cardiac arrest

What's Your Take? Comment Now ...

Buyer's Guide Featured Companies

Featured Careers & Jobs in EMS

Get JEMS in Your Inbox

 

Fire EMS Blogs


Blogger Browser

Today's Featured Posts

 

EMS Airway Clinic

Innovation & Advancement

This is the seventh year of the EMS 10 Innovators in EMS program, jointly sponsored by Physio-Control and JEMS.
More >

Multimedia Thumb

JEMS TV Product Innovations at EMS Today 2015: Road Safety from Zoll

Protect your assets. Equip your fleet with Road Safety® from ZOLL
Watch It >


Multimedia Thumb

Glendale Firefighters Suspended for Punching Patient

Excessive force was used on a combative patient.
Watch It >


Multimedia Thumb

Vancouver Chemical Fire Causes Major Response

Hazmat incident sends smoke over port neighborhood.
Watch It >


Multimedia Thumb

Salt Lake City Firefighters Injured in Firehouse Fire

Nine sent to a hospital with smoke inhalation.
Watch It >


Multimedia Thumb

Plane Skids off Runway at LaGuardia Airport

Delta flight stops just short of Flushing Bay
More >


Multimedia Thumb

Rigs Going in Service from EMS Today 2015

Snap shots of some of the vehicles at EMS Today that will be on the streets soon
More >


Multimedia Thumb

Braun Ambulances' EZ Door Forward

Helps to create a safer ambulance module.
Watch It >


Multimedia Thumb

The AmbuBus®, Bus Stretcher Conversion Kit - EMS Today 2013

AmbuBus®, Bus Stretcher all-hazards preparedness & response tool
Watch It >


Multimedia Thumb

Field Bridge Xpress ePCR on iPad, Android, Kindle Fire

Sneak peek of customizable run forms & more.
Watch It >


More Product Videos >