Carbon Monoxide Poisoning Possible in Tennessee Bike Festival Deaths - News - @ JEMS.com


Carbon Monoxide Poisoning Possible in Tennessee Bike Festival Deaths

Fumes from a generator leaked into a camper, killing three men and two women.

 

 
 
 

ERIK SCHELZIG, Associated Press | | Monday, September 19, 2011


CLARKSVILLE, Tenn. (AP) — Fumes from a generator leaked into a camper, killing three men and two women who were at a biker festival to raise money for needy children, an organizer for the event said.

Police were investigating the deaths but said no foul play was suspected. Two of the men worked security into the early morning hours Sunday during the festival's party, which featured motorcycle drag races, live music and bikini and tattoo contests. The charity's website said there was free beer.

Bill Langford, the director of the event Bikers Who Care, was puzzled over the deaths at the Clarksville Speedway.

"Most of them didn't get to bed until four o'clock in the morning, and most of those people didn't go in that trailer at the same time to go to bed," he said. "I just find that kind that of strange. Why didn't they notice?"

It appears a small storage hatch on the RV did not close properly, allowing fumes from the generator to leak inside the vehicle, Langford said.

The gases were so bad in the camper that the bikers who found the bodies were taken to a hospital after feeling dizzy and light-headed, Langford said. They all had high amounts of carbon monoxide in their systems, he said.

Langford said the bikers' group was like a family and he was close friends with the people who had died. He identified them as a married couple, another couple and one of the men's co-workers.

The married couple had 8-month-old twins. The man was a truck driver and his wife was a school teacher.

All of the victims were from the Clarksville area about 40 miles northwest of Nashville.

"Me and these guys had a meeting every Thursday of the year," Langford said. "These three guys are three of my closest friends."

By Sunday evening, the crowd of a couple of thousand people had thinned and only a handful of people remained, sitting around campfires. Nearby, portable toilets were still out and a party tent was still up with a large American flag on top of it.

Photos from the festival showed yellow police tape around the camper and tents that had been set up close by. The camper was later towed away.

Police would not say if carbon monoxide poisoning played a role and said the cause of the deaths would have to be determined by a coroner. The identities of the dead were also being withheld until family members could be told.

Langford said the bikers collect toys for needy children and raised funds for Camp Rainbow, a summer camp for seriously ill children at Land Between the Lakes recreation area on the Kentucky-Tennessee border. They also contribute to the Buddy Ball sports league for children with mental and physical disabilities.

The cornerstone of the event was a toy run, where the bikers lined up at the speedway and rode through town. Organizers said they gathered four truckloads of toys.

It was the 30th year of the event. Langford promised the festival would be held again.

"It's going to be hard for next year or two," he said. "But we're going to keep doing what we do for the kids."

___

Online:

www.bikerswhocare.org

___

Associated Press writer Rebecca Yonker in Louisville, Ky., contributed to this report.



Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.


Connect: Have a thought or feedback about this? Add your comment now
Related Topics: News, carbon monoxide poisoning

 
What's Your Take? Comment Now ...

Buyer's Guide Featured Companies

Featured Careers & Jobs in EMS

Get JEMS in Your Inbox

 

Fire EMS Blogs


Blogger Browser

Today's Featured Posts

 

EMS Airway Clinic

Improving Survival from Cardiac Arrest Using ACD-CPR + ITD

Using active compression-decompression CPR with an ITD has been shown to improve 1-year survival from cardiac arrest by 33%.
More >

Multimedia Thumb

California Firefighters save Man on Flight

Patient was conscious and talking when United flight landed.
Watch It >


Multimedia Thumb

Over Half of Seattle Fire Stations Test Positive for MRSA

Surprisingly high results come from test kits based on earlier study.
Watch It >


Multimedia Thumb

AMR Crew Rescues Mississippi Driver from Fiery Crash

Rescue during crash in Jackson is caught on video.
Watch It >


Multimedia Thumb

Hands On February 2015

Here’s a look at this month’s product hands on.
More >


Multimedia Thumb

Nightwatch Series Premiere Party

JEMS Editor-in-Chief A.J. Heightman attends the series premiere of A&E's new reality show, "Nightwatch."
More >


Multimedia Thumb

Ottawa Chemical Investigation

Chemicals and suspicious package are probed at two locations
More >


Multimedia Thumb

The AmbuBus®, Bus Stretcher Conversion Kit - EMS Today 2013

AmbuBus®, Bus Stretcher all-hazards preparedness & response tool
Watch It >


Multimedia Thumb

VividTrac offered by Vivid Medical - EMS Today 2013

VividTrac, affordable high performance video intubation device.
Watch It >


Multimedia Thumb

Field Bridge Xpress ePCR on iPad, Android, Kindle Fire

Sneak peek of customizable run forms & more.
Watch It >


Multimedia Thumb

Braun Ambulances' EZ Door Forward

Helps to create a safer ambulance module.
Watch It >


More Product Videos >