Carbon Monoxide Nearly Kills N.Y. Family of Three - News - @ JEMS.com


Carbon Monoxide Nearly Kills N.Y. Family of Three

They were taken to the hospital for treatment in a hyperbaric chamber to replenish their depleted oxygen levels


 
 

Lou Michel, Buffalo News | | Monday, January 30, 2012


GRAND ISLAND, N.Y. -- A Grand Island family came perilously close to perishing early Friday morning from breathing "extremely high" carbon monoxide levels in their home, authorities said.

One of the adults managed to wake up and call an acquaintance in Williamsville, who then contacted the Grand Island Fire Company to report "three people in distress," authorities said.

When Grand Island volunteer firefighters arrived at 20 River Oaks Drive, they repeatedly knocked on the front door of the home and finally a disoriented woman answered at about 2:42 a.m., a fire official said.

Two women and a 13-month-old boy were taken to Mount St. Mary's Hospital in Lewiston for treatment in a hyperbaric chamber to replenish their depleted oxygen levels. They were listed in satisfactory condition.

But it was a close call.

Authorities said they do not believe there was a working carbon monoxide detector in the home. A National Fuel spokesperson said it appeared that the incident involved natural gas, which was shut off after firefighters ventilated the home.

"We checked for carbon monoxide and an initial determination found 300 parts per million, which is a very dangerous level," Grand Island Fire Department spokesman Ray Pauley said. "If we hadn't gotten notification in time, we would most likely have had three fatalities."

As a result, Surya Yadavi, 36; Chaadana Koorella, 29, and the infant were removed from the home and placed in a fire rescue vehicle, where they received life-support treatment from volunteer firefighter medics.

The family members, who were all conscious but remained disoriented, were then transported by Twin City Ambulance to Mount St. Mary's.

"My understanding is they were to be treated in a hyperbaric chamber for oxygen deprivation," Pauley said.

Before an investigation into how the buildup of gas occurred, the residents will have to contact the utility to request resumption of gas service, National Fuel spokesperson Karen Merkel said.

"National Fuel turned the gas off, and the situation was made safe. Once the gas is back on, we can investigate," she said. "The CO levels were extremely high."

Pauley pointed out that Amanda's Law, enacted in February 2010 in response to the 2009 carbon monoxide death of West Seneca teenager Amanda Hansen, requires that all residential dwellings have CO detectors.

Pauley said it is important that residents make sure their detectors are properly functioning: "If you're in doubt, contact your local fire department, and they'll come out and check them for you."



Copyright © 2013 LexisNexis, a division of Reed Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved. Terms and Conditions | Privacy Policy


Connect: Have a thought or feedback about this? Add your comment now
Related Topics: News, oxygen, supplemental oxygen, carbon monoxide poisoning

What's Your Take? Comment Now ...

Buyer's Guide Featured Companies

Featured Careers & Jobs in EMS

Get JEMS in Your Inbox

 

Fire EMS Blogs


Blogger Browser

Today's Featured Posts

 

EMS Airway Clinic

Improving Survival from Cardiac Arrest Using ACD-CPR + ITD

Using active compression-decompression CPR with an ITD has been shown to improve 1-year survival from cardiac arrest by 33%.
More >

Multimedia Thumb

Tempe’s Drug Dilemma

Dealing with overdoses.
Watch It >


Multimedia Thumb

I’m a Paramedic

Profile of a Northshore LIJ medic.
Watch It >


Multimedia Thumb

Riding with Busy Welsh Ambulances

EMS crews struggle under mounting pressures.
Watch It >


Multimedia Thumb

Albuquerque Unveils New Rescue Unit

Mayor and residents celebrate new ambulance.
Watch It >


Multimedia Thumb

Nightwatch Series Premiere Party

JEMS Editor-in-Chief A.J. Heightman attends the series premiere of A&E's new reality show, "Nightwatch."
More >


Multimedia Thumb

Ottawa Chemical Investigation

Chemicals and suspicious package are probed at two locations
More >


Multimedia Thumb

Cincinnati Overpass Collapse

Fatal pancake collapse occurs during demolition.
More >


Multimedia Thumb

VividTrac offered by Vivid Medical - EMS Today 2013

VividTrac, affordable high performance video intubation device.
Watch It >


Multimedia Thumb

Field Bridge Xpress ePCR on iPad, Android, Kindle Fire

Sneak peek of customizable run forms & more.
Watch It >


Multimedia Thumb

The AmbuBus®, Bus Stretcher Conversion Kit - EMS Today 2013

AmbuBus®, Bus Stretcher all-hazards preparedness & response tool
Watch It >


More Product Videos >