Carbon Monoxide Claims Three in Maryland Community - News - @ JEMS.com


Carbon Monoxide Claims Three in Maryland Community

It's believed that the generator was being used because the power had recently been turned off to the home.


 
 

WJLA | | Wednesday, June 2, 2010


VIDEOS

Multimedia Thumb

Carbon Monoxide Kills 3 In Maryland

Fire crews hit the streets to warn of CO dangers.
more >





HYATTSVILLE, Md. - Forty eight hours after carbon monoxide poisoning killed three people in a Hyattsville neighborhood the family members of the victims spoke to us and firefighters hit the streets with a warning.

Mourners gathered at the house in Hyattsville Tuesday to remember the lives lost to a silent killer.

"I was banging on the door as hard as I could because no one would answer," remembered Diana Pasig.

Sunday, Pasig came to the home to check on 20-year-old Edward Gonzales, the father of her four-year-old son. To her horror, she spotted a running generator in the basement and encountered a locked door upstairs.

She said, then, "I broke down the door and found my son's father and his uncle on the floor."

Gonzales, his 17-year-old brother Henry and friend Elon Jones had died of carbon monoxide poisoning.

Pasig said about her son, "He's been asking me when is my daddy coming back from heaven. And I don't know what to say."

Only a few blocks from the house is a Prince George's County fire hall. Tuesday night, firefighters left Station One to prevent another tragedy. They canvassed the neighborhood where the Gonzales brothers lived, making sure that all are aware of the dangers of a highly toxic gas that is colorless and odorless.

While firefighters hope their efforts make a difference, grieving loved ones are left with a reality that is difficult to accept.

"It's so hard to think that the person I thought was going to be with me for the rest of my life is just gone," said Sonia Lopez, a girlfriend of one of the victims.

It's believed that the generator was being used because the power had recently been turned off to the home and the men planned on moving out the next day.





Carbon Monoxide Kills 3 In Maryland


Connect: Have a thought or feedback about this? Add your comment now
Related Topics: News, carbon monoxide

What's Your Take? Comment Now ...

Buyer's Guide Featured Companies

Featured Careers & Jobs in EMS

Get JEMS in Your Inbox

 

Fire EMS Blogs


Blogger Browser

Today's Featured Posts

 

EMS Airway Clinic

Improving Survival from Cardiac Arrest Using ACD-CPR + ITD

Using active compression-decompression CPR with an ITD has been shown to improve 1-year survival from cardiac arrest by 33%.
More >

Multimedia Thumb

Over Half of Seattle Fire Stations Test Positive for MRSA

Surprisingly high results come from test kits based on earlier study.
Watch It >


Multimedia Thumb

AMR Crew Rescues Mississippi Driver from Fiery Crash

Rescue during crash in Jackson is caught on video.
Watch It >


Multimedia Thumb

Tempe’s Drug Dilemma

Dealing with overdoses.
Watch It >


Multimedia Thumb

I’m a Paramedic

Profile of a Northshore LIJ medic.
Watch It >


Multimedia Thumb

Nightwatch Series Premiere Party

JEMS Editor-in-Chief A.J. Heightman attends the series premiere of A&E's new reality show, "Nightwatch."
More >


Multimedia Thumb

Ottawa Chemical Investigation

Chemicals and suspicious package are probed at two locations
More >


Multimedia Thumb

Cincinnati Overpass Collapse

Fatal pancake collapse occurs during demolition.
More >


Multimedia Thumb

Field Bridge Xpress ePCR on iPad, Android, Kindle Fire

Sneak peek of customizable run forms & more.
Watch It >


Multimedia Thumb

Braun Ambulances' EZ Door Forward

Helps to create a safer ambulance module.
Watch It >


Multimedia Thumb

VividTrac offered by Vivid Medical - EMS Today 2013

VividTrac, affordable high performance video intubation device.
Watch It >


Multimedia Thumb

LMA MAD Nasal™

Needle-free intranasal drug delivery.
Watch It >


More Product Videos >