California Passes Statewide CO Detector Law

Beginning July 1 all single-family homes will be required to have a CO detector.


 
 

LAUREN REED-GUY, San Francisco Chronicle | | Friday, June 17, 2011


For nearly a year, the Hernandez family had no idea it was being poisoned.

Even a visit to the hospital couldn't pinpoint the source of the headaches, nausea and confusion plaguing the Daly City family. It wasn't until February, when a PG&E inspector took a look at their furnace, that the family members discovered the cause of their ailments.

The culprit? Carbon monoxide, an odorless and colorless gas produced in the combustion of fossil fuels - like in the furnace in the Hernandezes' apartment. In high enough doses, it can be lethal.

Beginning July 1, a state law will require carbon monoxide detectors in all single-family homes to prevent such potential tragedies, making California the 35th state to enact some sort of carbon monoxide legislation.

To meet the new standards, homeowners must install carbon monoxide alarms, which look like smoke detectors, on each level of their home. Ideally, the alarms should be near carbon monoxide-emitting appliances - gas-burning stoves and heaters, for example - and near sleeping areas.

Apartment rule in 2013

Newly constructed residences have been required to have the detectors since January. All other types of residences, like apartment buildings and multifamily homes, will be required to install carbon monoxide alarms by Jan. 1, 2013.

Failure to meet the standards will be punishable by a fine up to $200 for each offense. While homeowners will not be subject to inspections to ensure compliance with the law, they will be held to the code during the building permit approval process or when selling their home - much like the current policy on smoke alarms.

"Hopefully, people will get the idea that this is for your own safety and your family's safety," said San Francisco Fire Department spokeswoman Mindy Talmadge. "It wouldn't be recommended if it wasn't something we thought was necessary and important."

Doctors told Jose Hernandez, 50, who has a wife and two daughters, that it was a miracle the family had survived the high levels of carbon monoxide in their bodies. Every year, between 30 and 40 California residents aren't so lucky.

Difficult to detect

One of the principal dangers of carbon monoxide is that, without detectors, it is nearly untraceable.

The American Medical Association estimates that 20,000 emergency room visits nationwide result from carbon monoxide poisoning annually, and it is the leading cause of accidental poisoning deaths in the country.

An additional complication comes from the fact that early signs of carbon monoxide poisoning, which include nausea, dizziness and fatigue, are easily misdiagnosed as symptoms of the flu. Talmadge believes that cases of carbon monoxide poisoning are underreported.

Because of the health risks, Talmadge says, it is important that carbon monoxide leaks are detected early.

"The ideal situation is that it's detected before you start experiencing symptoms," Talmadge said. "Once you do, there's carbon monoxide poisoning in your system. If it occurs at night while people are sleeping, it's kind of a silent killer."

Dangerous winters

Carbon monoxide poisoning is more common during the winter, when more homes use gas heaters - one of the most common household sources of carbon monoxide.

According to state Sen. Alan Lowenthal, D-Long Beach, the author of the bill that established the new regulations, California's milder climate is one of the reasons legislation has come later here than in other parts of the country, where states see a dramatic increase in poisonings during the winter months.

While earlier versions of the bill raised questions about the availability and quality of carbon monoxide detectors, they are now inexpensive and far more reliable than they were five years ago.

Carbon monoxide detectors can be purchased at most hardware stores. Basic models cost around $20. The detectors come in battery-powered and plug-in versions. Homeowners are advised to purchase detectors with battery backup in case of a power failure.

Although the Ace Hardware on California Street in San Francisco has seen a small uptick in sales of carbon monoxide detectors, store manager Josh Weinberg says he is surprised it hasn't been greater.

"We're not seeing the onslaught one would expect when a new law is publicized, but I'm doing what I can," said Weinberg, who has put up a display and posted the new regulations in his store.

Hernandez, whose landlord has now equipped the whole building with carbon monoxide detectors, thinks the new legislation is "a great idea."

"Every family should have them," he said.



Copyright © 2013 LexisNexis, a division of Reed Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved. Terms and Conditions | Privacy Policy


Connect: Have a thought or feedback about this? Add your comment now
Related Topics: News, carbon monoxide poisoning

What's Your Take? Comment Now ...

Featured Careers & Jobs in EMS





 

Get JEMS in Your Inbox

 

Fire EMS Blogs


Blogger Browser

Today's Featured Posts

 

EMS Airway Clinic

Simulation-Based Assessment Facilitates Learning & Enhances Clinical Judgment

Simulation is an educational tool that can be used to develop and refine clinical skills of the student in a controlled environment before they progress to becoming practicing clinicians.
More >

Multimedia Thumb

REMSA Programs Helps Reduce Hospital Visits

Community paramedic effort goes into service.
Watch It >


Multimedia Thumb

City Official Challenges San Francisco Fire Chief

Ambulance response times among problems noted by city supervisor.
Watch It >


Multimedia Thumb

Texas Ambulance Crash

Victoria ambulance collides with civilian vehicle.
Watch It >


Multimedia Thumb

Colorado Medics Ditch Pants for Kilts

“Real men do wear kilts.”
Watch It >


Multimedia Thumb

CO Leak at Illinois School

Girard incident sends over 130 to hospitals.
More >


Multimedia Thumb

Hands On September 2014

Who gets thumbs up this month?
More >


Multimedia Thumb

NYC Sept. 11 Anniversary

View images from the ceremony at Ground Zero.
More >


Multimedia Thumb

The AmbuBus®, Bus Stretcher Conversion Kit - EMS Today 2013

AmbuBus®, Bus Stretcher all-hazards preparedness & response tool
Watch It >


Multimedia Thumb

Braun Ambulances' EZ Door Forward

Helps to create a safer ambulance module.
Watch It >


Multimedia Thumb

VividTrac offered by Vivid Medical - EMS Today 2013

VividTrac, affordable high performance video intubation device.
Watch It >


More Product Videos >