California Boy’s Death Linked to ‘Choking Game’ - News - @ JEMS.com


California Boy’s Death Linked to ‘Choking Game’


 
 

| Wednesday, April 28, 2010


SANTA MONICA, Calif. - Police say a 12-year-old Southern California boy is dead after he apparently asphyxiated himself for thrills in the so-called "choking game."

The Santa Monica Police Department said Wednesday the boy died last week after tying a rope to his neck inside his home. Officers found him in cardiac arrest, and he died at the hospital soon after.

Police say the case is being investigated as an accidental death.

The goal of the "choking game" is to temporarily cut off blood supply and oxygen to the brain to cause a quick euphoric sensation.

According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, 82 children died playing the game from 1995 to 2007.



Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.


Connect: Have a thought or feedback about this? Add your comment now
Related Topics: News, Cardiac and Circulation, Airway and Respiratory, Patient Management

What's Your Take? Comment Now ...

Buyer's Guide Featured Companies

Featured Careers & Jobs in EMS

FEBRUARY 25-28, 2015

Baltimore Convention Center
Baltimore, Maryland USA
THE SHOW IS OPEN!

THURSDAY SNOW FLURRIES


 

 

 

 

Get JEMS in Your Inbox

 

Fire EMS Blogs


Blogger Browser

Today's Featured Posts

 

EMS Airway Clinic

Innovation & Advancement

This is the seventh year of the EMS 10 Innovators in EMS program, jointly sponsored by Physio-Control and JEMS.
More >

Multimedia Thumb

Wesleyan Students Hospitalized for Overdose

11 students transported to local hospitals.
Watch It >


Multimedia Thumb

Denver Medic's Family Says Job Stress Contributed to Suicide

Veteran of over 25 years took her own life after a call.
Watch It >


Multimedia Thumb

Denver First Responders Join to Remember Paramedic

Veteran medic took her own life after fatal accident.
Watch It >


Multimedia Thumb

22nd Anniversary of WTC Bombing

Remembering the first terror attack.
More >


Multimedia Thumb

Hands On March 2015

Here’s a look at this month’s product hands on.
More >


Multimedia Thumb

15 Injured in New Jersey Explosion

Blast captured on dash cam during Stafford Township gas leak.
More >


Multimedia Thumb

LMA MAD Nasal™

Needle-free intranasal drug delivery.
Watch It >


Multimedia Thumb

The AmbuBus®, Bus Stretcher Conversion Kit - EMS Today 2013

AmbuBus®, Bus Stretcher all-hazards preparedness & response tool
Watch It >


Multimedia Thumb

VividTrac offered by Vivid Medical - EMS Today 2013

VividTrac, affordable high performance video intubation device.
Watch It >


More Product Videos >