Calif. Family Hospitalized after Carbon Monoxide Poisoning - News - @ JEMS.com


Calif. Family Hospitalized after Carbon Monoxide Poisoning

The fumes came from a faulty heater


 
 

Nels Johnson, Marin Independent Journal | | Tuesday, November 8, 2011


MARIN, Calif. -- A family of four poisoned by carbon monoxide fumes from a faulty heater at their Point Reyes Station home was doing fine Monday morning after being whisked to Marin General Hospital by county paramedics.

The parents, along with their son and daughter, thought they had the flu for the past three days as all suffered from flu-like symptoms, but when the two children became listless Monday morning the parents called 911 and were told by a dispatcher to get out of the house.

Marin County fire Capt. Rick Wonneberger said fire personnel took the four to Marin General shortly after 9 a.m. Monday "where they are doing well."

A faulty propane wall heater was to blame, he said, adding a landlord was fixing it and installing carbon monoxide detectors.

"They got sick," he said. "They had flu-like symptoms for three days and it got progressively worse."

Monday morning, "the kids were not acting normally, they weren't responding and were very sleepy," Wonneberger said.

That's when the parents decided to call for help, and just in time, because carbon monoxide poisoning can be deadly.




Connect: Have a thought or feedback about this? Add your comment now
Related Topics: News, carbon monoxide

What's Your Take? Comment Now ...

Buyer's Guide Featured Companies

Featured Careers & Jobs in EMS

Get JEMS in Your Inbox

 

Fire EMS Blogs


Blogger Browser

Today's Featured Posts

 

EMS Airway Clinic

Improving Survival from Cardiac Arrest Using ACD-CPR + ITD

Using active compression-decompression CPR with an ITD has been shown to improve 1-year survival from cardiac arrest by 33%.
More >

Multimedia Thumb

Philadelphia Fire Department Apologizes for Medic’s Jab at Police

Union head calls photos a slap in the face of officers.
Watch It >


Multimedia Thumb

D.C. Fire and EMS Crews Blame New Technology for Patient’s Death

Delayed response blamed on recurring dispatch problems.
Watch It >


Multimedia Thumb

Suspect Steals, Crashes Maryland Ambulance

One killed, others injured in Prince George’s County crash.
Watch It >


Multimedia Thumb

Tennessee Trench Rescue

Worker pulled from Roane County worksite.
More >


Multimedia Thumb

Time’s Ebola Firefighters

Doctors, nurses and others saluted for fighting virus.
More >


Multimedia Thumb

Car Strikes Manhattan Pedestrians

Seven people hurt when car jumps curb.
More >


Multimedia Thumb

The AmbuBus®, Bus Stretcher Conversion Kit - EMS Today 2013

AmbuBus®, Bus Stretcher all-hazards preparedness & response tool
Watch It >


Multimedia Thumb

LMA MAD Nasal™

Needle-free intranasal drug delivery.
Watch It >


Multimedia Thumb

Braun Ambulances' EZ Door Forward

Helps to create a safer ambulance module.
Watch It >


Multimedia Thumb

Field Bridge Xpress ePCR on iPad, Android, Kindle Fire

Sneak peek of customizable run forms & more.
Watch It >


More Product Videos >