Autopsy: Florida Man Choked to Death in Roach-Eating Contest - News - @ JEMS.com


Autopsy: Florida Man Choked to Death in Roach-Eating Contest

The death has been ruled an accident


 
 

SUZETTE LABOY, Associated Press | | Monday, November 26, 2012


VIDEOS




MIAMI (AP) — A Florida man choked to death after downing dozens of live roaches during a contest earlier this year in which the grand prize was a python, an autopsy released Monday concluded.

Previous coverage on JEMS.com:


Edward Archbold, 32, of West Palm Beach died as a result of "asphyxia due to choking and aspiration of gastric contents," according to the report released by the Broward County medical examiner's office.

Lab tests for drugs came back negative. The death has been ruled an accident.

Archbold died after downing the bugs as well as worms in October for the contest at Ben Siegel Reptile Store in Deerfield Beach, about 40 miles north of Miami.

Messages left with the store's owner and his attorney were not immediately returned.

Archbold became ill shortly after the contest and collapsed in front of the store. He was taken to the hospital where he was pronounced dead.

About 30 contestants ate the insects, but authorities said none of the other contestants became ill.



Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.


Raw Video: Fla. Man Dies after Live Roach-Eating Contest


Connect: Have a thought or feedback about this? Add your comment now
Related Topics: News, roaches

What's Your Take? Comment Now ...

Buyer's Guide Featured Companies

Featured Careers & Jobs in EMS

Get JEMS in Your Inbox

 

Fire EMS Blogs


Blogger Browser

Today's Featured Posts

 

EMS Airway Clinic

Innovation & Advancement

This is the seventh year of the EMS 10 Innovators in EMS program, jointly sponsored by Physio-Control and JEMS.
More >

Multimedia Thumb

JEMS TV Product Innovations at EMS Today 2015: Road Safety from Zoll

Protect your assets. Equip your fleet with Road Safety® from ZOLL
Watch It >


Multimedia Thumb

Glendale Firefighters Suspended for Punching Patient

Excessive force was used on a combative patient.
Watch It >


Multimedia Thumb

Vancouver Chemical Fire Causes Major Response

Hazmat incident sends smoke over port neighborhood.
Watch It >


Multimedia Thumb

Salt Lake City Firefighters Injured in Firehouse Fire

Nine sent to a hospital with smoke inhalation.
Watch It >


Multimedia Thumb

Plane Skids off Runway at LaGuardia Airport

Delta flight stops just short of Flushing Bay
More >


Multimedia Thumb

Rigs Going in Service from EMS Today 2015

Snap shots of some of the vehicles at EMS Today that will be on the streets soon
More >


Multimedia Thumb

The AmbuBus®, Bus Stretcher Conversion Kit - EMS Today 2013

AmbuBus®, Bus Stretcher all-hazards preparedness & response tool
Watch It >


Multimedia Thumb

VividTrac offered by Vivid Medical - EMS Today 2013

VividTrac, affordable high performance video intubation device.
Watch It >


Multimedia Thumb

Field Bridge Xpress ePCR on iPad, Android, Kindle Fire

Sneak peek of customizable run forms & more.
Watch It >


More Product Videos >