Ala. Man Poisoned by Decapitated Snake Head - News - @ JEMS.com


Ala. Man Poisoned by Decapitated Snake Head

Providers said the 41-year-old man stuck his finger in the snake's mouth


 
 

| Thursday, March 29, 2012


MOBILE, Ala. -- Authorities in Alabama said a homeless man handling a decapitated snake head was treated after being poisoned by the snake's venom.

Emergency responders in Mobile said the 41-year-old man stuck a finger in the mouth of what was believed to be the head of a cotton mouth and the snake's fangs broke his skin, WALA-TV, Mobile, reported Wednesday.

The man initially refused medical treatment, but paramedics were called back to the scene when the man began showing the effects of venom poisoning. He was taken to USA Medical Center for treatment. A friend of the man said he spotted the snake swimming in a nearby creek.

"I saw it swimming down along the creek and everything. And I ran down and hit it with the machete and killed it and brought it up. He picked the head up and stuck himself right in the finger with it," the friend said.

"He put his finger in there and all of a sudden the nerves, I guess, and it bit down on his finger."



Copyright © 2013 LexisNexis, a division of Reed Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved. Terms and Conditions | Privacy Policy


Connect: Have a thought or feedback about this? Add your comment now
Related Topics: News, snake

What's Your Take? Comment Now ...

Buyer's Guide Featured Companies

Featured Careers & Jobs in EMS

Get JEMS in Your Inbox

 

Fire EMS Blogs


Blogger Browser

Today's Featured Posts

 

EMS Airway Clinic

Improving Survival from Cardiac Arrest Using ACD-CPR + ITD

Using active compression-decompression CPR with an ITD has been shown to improve 1-year survival from cardiac arrest by 33%.
More >

Multimedia Thumb

Three Injured in Philadelphia Collapse

Parapet wall falls through roof of store.
Watch It >


Multimedia Thumb

California Firefighters save Man on Flight

Patient was conscious and talking when United flight landed.
Watch It >


Multimedia Thumb

Over Half of Seattle Fire Stations Test Positive for MRSA

Surprisingly high results come from test kits based on earlier study.
Watch It >


Multimedia Thumb

Hands On February 2015

Here’s a look at this month’s product hands on.
More >


Multimedia Thumb

Nightwatch Series Premiere Party

JEMS Editor-in-Chief A.J. Heightman attends the series premiere of A&E's new reality show, "Nightwatch."
More >


Multimedia Thumb

Ottawa Chemical Investigation

Chemicals and suspicious package are probed at two locations
More >


Multimedia Thumb

Field Bridge Xpress ePCR on iPad, Android, Kindle Fire

Sneak peek of customizable run forms & more.
Watch It >


Multimedia Thumb

Braun Ambulances' EZ Door Forward

Helps to create a safer ambulance module.
Watch It >


Multimedia Thumb

VividTrac offered by Vivid Medical - EMS Today 2013

VividTrac, affordable high performance video intubation device.
Watch It >


More Product Videos >