22 Children Die, Dozens Hospitalized, after School Lunch in India

Food tainted with insecticide made children violently ill

 

 
 
 

Indrajit Singh, Associated Press | | Wednesday, July 17, 2013


VIDEOS

Multimedia Thumb

School Lunch Kills, Sickens Dozens of Children in India

Children participating in a free lunch program in India began falling violently ill soon after they ate a free school lunch on Tuesday, and at least 22 died.
more >





Note from JEMS Editor in Chief, A.J. Heightman:  The tragic death of these 22 children between the ages of 5 and 12 in India resulted from ingredients that individuals throughout the United States are using to commit chemical suicides. (See JEMS 2012, “Toxic Transport - EMS Responds to Toxic Inhalation Victims.”)

Organophosphorous, the poison involved in these deaths, is a chemical that is commonly used in agriculture as an insecticide. It’s also a nerve agent related to sarin gas, which is used in chemical warfare.

Exposure to a high dose of organophosphorous can cause an irregular heartbeat, difficulty breathing, paralysis, seizures and death.  EMS personnel need to read up on this chemical and others involved in chemical suicides so they are aware of its hazards and prepared to resuscitate exposed individuals .

To read more about organophosphorous poisoning, please see related links at end of this story.

_____

PATNA, India (AP) — The children started falling violently ill soon after they ate the free school lunch of rice, lentils, soybeans and potatoes.

The food, part of a program that gives poor Indian students at least one hot meal a day, was tainted with insecticide, and soon 22 of the students were dead and dozens were hospitalized, officials said Wednesday.

It was not immediately clear how chemicals ended up in the food at the school in the eastern state of Bihar. One official said that the food may not have been properly washed before it was cooked.

The children, between the ages of 5 and 12, got sick soon after eating lunch Tuesday in Gandamal village in Masrakh block, 80 kilometers (50 miles) north of the state capital of Patna. School authorities immediately stopped serving the meal as the children started vomiting.

Savita, a 12-year-old student who uses only one name, said she had a stomach ache after eating soybeans and potatoes and started vomiting.

"I don't know what happened after that," Savita said in an interview at Patna Medical College Hospital, where she and many other children were recovering.

The lunch was cooked in the school kitchen.

The children were rushed to a local hospital and later to Patna for treatment, said state official Abhijit Sinha.

In addition to the 22 children who died, another 25 children and the school cook were in hospital undergoing treatment, P.K. Sahi, the state education minister. Three children were in serious condition.

Authorities suspended an official in charge of the free meal scheme in the school and registered a case of criminal negligence against the school headmistress, who fled as soon as the children fell ill.

Angry villagers, joined by members of local opposition parties, closed shops and businesses near the school and overturned and burned four police vehicles.

Sahi said a preliminary investigation suggested the food contained an organophosphate used as an insecticide on rice and wheat crops. It's believed the grain was not washed before it was served at the school, he said.

However, local villagers said the problem appeared to be with a side dish of soybeans and potatoes, not grain. Children who had not eaten that dish were fine, although they had eaten the rice and lentils, several villagers told the AP.

Sinha said the cooked food and kitchen utensils have been seized by investigators. "Whether it was a case of negligence or was intentional, we will only know once the inquiry has been conducted," he said.

India's midday meal scheme is one of the world's biggest school nutrition programs. State governments have the freedom to decide on menus and timings of the meals, depending on local conditions and availability of food rations. It was first introduced in southern India, where it was seen as an incentive for poor parents to send their children to school.

Since then the program has been replicated across the country, covering some 120 million school children. It's as part of an effort to address concerns about malnutrition, which the government says nearly half of all Indian children suffer from.

Although there have been occasional complaints about the quality of the food served, or the lack of hygiene, the tragedy in Bihar appeared to be unprecedented for the massive food program.

____


Important information on organophosphorous
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3309624/
http://www.medindia.net/patients/patientinfo/organophosphorus-poisoning.htm
http://emedicine.medscape.com/article/167726-overview
http://www.thelancet.com/journals/lancet/article/PIIS0140-6736%2807%2961202-1/abstract



Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.


School Lunch Kills, Sickens Dozens of Children in India


Connect: Have a thought or feedback about this? Add your comment now
Related Topics: News

 
What's Your Take? Comment Now ...

Buyer's Guide Featured Companies

Featured Careers & Jobs in EMS

Get JEMS in Your Inbox

 

Fire EMS Blogs


Blogger Browser

Today's Featured Posts

 

EMS Airway Clinic

Mechanical CPR is Producing Resuscitation Results Beyond Expectations

Discover why clinical studies are finding mechanical CPR just as effective as optimally-performed CPR.
More >

Multimedia Thumb

FDNY Sends Crews to Help Buffalo

Specialized firefighters assist with snow response.
Watch It >


Multimedia Thumb

New York First Responders Take Extraordinary Steps to Help Residents

Snow causes fire and EMS crews to go beyond call of duty.
Watch It >


Multimedia Thumb

Raw Video: Explosion and Fire at California Business

Over a dozen hurt in Santa Paula blaze.
Watch It >


Multimedia Thumb

Four Workers Killed at Texas Chemical Plant

Five employees exposed to methyl mercaptan in La Porte.
Watch It >


Multimedia Thumb

Buffalo Residents Dig Out and Prepare for Flooding

Flooding expected as heavy snow melts.
More >


Multimedia Thumb

Plane Crashes into Chicago Home

Pilot reported engine trouble after takeoff.
More >


Multimedia Thumb

Switzerland Landslide Kills Two, Injures Four

Slide hits residential building near Lugano.
More >


Multimedia Thumb

Braun Ambulances' EZ Door Forward

Helps to create a safer ambulance module.
Watch It >


Multimedia Thumb

The AmbuBus®, Bus Stretcher Conversion Kit - EMS Today 2013

AmbuBus®, Bus Stretcher all-hazards preparedness & response tool
Watch It >


Multimedia Thumb

LMA MAD Nasal™

Needle-free intranasal drug delivery.
Watch It >


More Product Videos >