2012’s Top 5 Unusual EMS-Related News Stories - News - @ JEMS.com


2012’s Top 5 Unusual EMS-Related News Stories

The titles alone make you do a double take

 

 
 
 

JEMS Staff | | Tuesday, December 18, 2012


Some rather unusual news stories graced the electronic pages of JEMS.com in 2012. They were the kinds of stories that -- the titles alone -- made you do a double take. Not surprisingly, the JEMS Facebook fans had a lot to say about these stories. Below, in no particular order, you’ll find some of their commentary along with the top five most bizarre, EMS-related news stories of the year.

Raw Video: Fla. Man Dies after Live Roach-Eating Contest
In October, raw video footage showed Edward Archbold, 32, participating in a bug-eating contest outside Ben Siegel Reptile Store in South Florida. The grand prize was a python. Archbold became ill shortly after the contest ended and collapsed. He was taken to the hospital, where he was pronounced dead. Autopsy results revealed that he died as a result of "asphyxia due to choking and aspiration of gastric contents."

What our Facebook fans said:
Omar T. said: “And this week’s Darwin Award goes to …”
Lee W. said: “Who got the python then? Hell, if I got it, I'd name it Darwin.”
Marcia C. said: “The bugs (micro or macro) will always eventually win!”
Ben L. said: “Surprise!”

Alcohol 'Enema' Sends Tennessee Student to Hospital
In September, medical personnel treated a University of Tennessee, Knoxville student for severe alcohol poisoning from a bizarre consumption method: butt chugging. Authorities think 20-year-old Alexander P. Broughton, of Memphis, who had a blood-alcohol level thought to be well over 0.40%, ingested the wine by inserting a tube directly into his rectum for quick and potent absorption.

What our Facebook fans said:
Ralph F. said: “I realize this story is tragic, but I cannot read 'butt chugging' without laughing.”
Joey C. said: “I had a young girl who put a vodka-soaked tampon up her a**. Same story -- alcohol poisoning. Who comes up with an idea like that anyway? Nasty.”
Matt W. said: “We need to stop saving some lives.”
Eric C. said: “I have run this call. I had two unresponsive patients, both of which had two shots of Bacardi 151 poured into condoms inserted into the rectum and then they burst. Not one of my favorite calls.”
Ronnie C. said: “And these people will one day lead this country. On that note, I hear Canada is nice this time of year.”

Alabama Man Poisoned by Decapitated Snake Head
In March, a homeless man in Alabama handling a decapitated snake head was treated after being poisoned by the snake's venom.  Responders said the 41-year-old man stuck his finger in what was believed to be the head of a cotton mouth. The snake's fangs broke his skin. The man initially refused medical treatment, but paramedics were called back to the scene when the man began showing the effects of venom poisoning.

What our Facebook fans said:
Julie W. said: “That's a new one. Though, I did get stung by a dead bee when I was a kid.”
Melinda J. said: “My nephew was bitten by a decapitated snake head. It happened in Paris, Tenn. He picked the head up and put his finger in the mouth and evidently stimulated a reflex. It bit down and injected venom. True story.”
Frank L. said: “Something pointy and poisonous. I think I'll play with it!”
Becca G. said: “I had a guy (intoxicated) who was trying to create a rattlesnake hat band for his cowboy hat with a ‘dead’ rattlesnake when it bit him.”

Odd Cat-Mouse Incident Strikes Oregon Man with Plague
In July, an Oregon man contracted a rare case of the plague trying to take a mouse from the jaws of a choking cat at his home. His hands were withered by the cell-killing infection and darkened to the color of charcoal.

What our Facebook fans said:
Vicente F. said: “Looks like frostbite.”
Erick F. said: “That’s a scary moment when you're sitting in the back of an ambulance with a patient with no signs or symptoms, and it turns out they have Bubonic Plague! Do you rub sterile wipes all over your body and check your partner for fleas like monkeys? Because I would ...”
Brandi R. said: “I had no idea this still existed. Wow!”
Michelle P. said: “I ran a call on a guy with toes like that. He was diabetic and had a hangnail. Three days later we took him in with toes just like that. They looked like they would turn to ashes if you touched them.”
Kyle R. said: “I just had a lady with Gangrene on her right hand due to smoking three packs a day for 30 years who looked almost like that.”

Drunken California Man Impales Himself on Fence
In November, crews had to cut away iron bars from a fence to rescue an intoxicated man who had impaled himself on them. He and another man tried to climb over a wall outside of a Hollywood Hills home. One of the men got over the wall OK, but the other man got stuck. According to police, it appears they were just wanting to “get a nice view of the city.”

What our Facebook fans said:
Amy Y. said: “At times, I wonder how some people make it through a 24-hour period alive, day after day?”
Darlene H. said: “Looks like the last episode of Chicago Fire.”
Allen C. said: “Hey, uh, KID! I think I got a little PROBLEM here...”
Ezequiel C. said: “Emergency Services:  Fighting natural selection since 1961.”
Ron K. said: “That's gonna leave a mark! If not for these jobs, it would be kinda boring. Just saying.”

What do you think was the most unusual EMS-related news story of 2012? Tell us in the comments!




Connect: Have a thought or feedback about this? Add your comment now
Related Topics: News, best of 2012, bizarre

 
What's Your Take? Comment Now ...

Buyer's Guide Featured Companies

Featured Careers & Jobs in EMS

Get JEMS in Your Inbox

 

Fire EMS Blogs


Blogger Browser

Today's Featured Posts

 

EMS Airway Clinic

Improving Survival from Cardiac Arrest Using ACD-CPR + ITD

Using active compression-decompression CPR with an ITD has been shown to improve 1-year survival from cardiac arrest by 33%.
More >

Multimedia Thumb

Philadelphia Fire Department Apologizes for Medic’s Jab at Police

Union head calls photos a slap in the face of officers.
Watch It >


Multimedia Thumb

D.C. Fire and EMS Crews Blame New Technology for Patient’s Death

Delayed response blamed on recurring dispatch problems.
Watch It >


Multimedia Thumb

Suspect Steals, Crashes Maryland Ambulance

One killed, others injured in Prince George’s County crash.
Watch It >


Multimedia Thumb

Truck Strikes Pedestrians in Scotland

Six killed in downtown Glasgow.
More >


Multimedia Thumb

Tennessee Trench Rescue

Worker pulled from Roane County worksite.
More >


Multimedia Thumb

Time’s Ebola Firefighters

Doctors, nurses and others saluted for fighting virus.
More >


Multimedia Thumb

The AmbuBus®, Bus Stretcher Conversion Kit - EMS Today 2013

AmbuBus®, Bus Stretcher all-hazards preparedness & response tool
Watch It >


Multimedia Thumb

LMA MAD Nasal™

Needle-free intranasal drug delivery.
Watch It >


Multimedia Thumb

VividTrac offered by Vivid Medical - EMS Today 2013

VividTrac, affordable high performance video intubation device.
Watch It >


Multimedia Thumb

Field Bridge Xpress ePCR on iPad, Android, Kindle Fire

Sneak peek of customizable run forms & more.
Watch It >


More Product Videos >