14 People Become Ill in North Dakota Laundromat - News - @ JEMS.com


14 People Become Ill in North Dakota Laundromat

Watford City incident began with a call for a woman who had passed out


 
 

The Bismark Tribune | | Tuesday, September 2, 2014


WATFORD CITY - An incident at a laundromat here has sent 14 people to the hospital for treatment.

Shortly before noon Sunday, Watford City police and first responders received a call about an 18-year-old woman who had passed out at Express Laundry Center. The woman was taken to a local hospital for treatment, according to a statement from the North Dakota Department of Health.

Soon after the first call came in, other people using the laundromat either went to the hospital or were taken by first responders. None of the injuries were believed to be life threatening, the statement said.

Initial reports indicate that exhaust from a malfunctioning boiler was venting into the laundromat. The statement also said a graffiti degreaser and bleach mixture used to treat clothes and a high concentration of carbon monoxide in the air may also have caused people to become ill.

"The place is shut down until the building inspectors can come in and take a look at it. It could be a few days, it could be a week," said Jerry Samuelson with McKenzie County Emergency Management.

The facility's gas line has been shut off for safety precautions and the facility will remain closed until a full investigation has taken place. Watford City emergency personnel and officials from North Dakota Department of Health's environmental response team were on the scene Sunday evening to further investigate the incident.

Mobile Category: 
News


Copyright © 2013 LexisNexis, a division of Reed Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved. Terms and Conditions | Privacy Policy


Connect: Have a thought or feedback about this? Add your comment now
Related Topics: News, carbon monoxide poisoning

What's Your Take? Comment Now ...

Buyer's Guide Featured Companies

Featured Careers & Jobs in EMS

Get JEMS in Your Inbox

 

Fire EMS Blogs


Blogger Browser

Today's Featured Posts

 

EMS Airway Clinic

Improving Survival from Cardiac Arrest Using ACD-CPR + ITD

Using active compression-decompression CPR with an ITD has been shown to improve 1-year survival from cardiac arrest by 33%.
More >

Multimedia Thumb

Philadelphia Fire Department Apologizes for Medic’s Jab at Police

Union head calls photos a slap in the face of officers.
Watch It >


Multimedia Thumb

D.C. Fire and EMS Crews Blame New Technology for Patient’s Death

Delayed response blamed on recurring dispatch problems.
Watch It >


Multimedia Thumb

Suspect Steals, Crashes Maryland Ambulance

One killed, others injured in Prince George’s County crash.
Watch It >


Multimedia Thumb

Truck Strikes Pedestrians in Scotland

Six killed in downtown Glasgow.
More >


Multimedia Thumb

Tennessee Trench Rescue

Worker pulled from Roane County worksite.
More >


Multimedia Thumb

Time’s Ebola Firefighters

Doctors, nurses and others saluted for fighting virus.
More >


Multimedia Thumb

The AmbuBus®, Bus Stretcher Conversion Kit - EMS Today 2013

AmbuBus®, Bus Stretcher all-hazards preparedness & response tool
Watch It >


Multimedia Thumb

Braun Ambulances' EZ Door Forward

Helps to create a safer ambulance module.
Watch It >


Multimedia Thumb

LMA MAD Nasal™

Needle-free intranasal drug delivery.
Watch It >


More Product Videos >