14 People Become Ill in North Dakota Laundromat - News - @ JEMS.com


14 People Become Ill in North Dakota Laundromat

Watford City incident began with a call for a woman who had passed out


 
 

The Bismark Tribune | | Tuesday, September 2, 2014


WATFORD CITY - An incident at a laundromat here has sent 14 people to the hospital for treatment.

Shortly before noon Sunday, Watford City police and first responders received a call about an 18-year-old woman who had passed out at Express Laundry Center. The woman was taken to a local hospital for treatment, according to a statement from the North Dakota Department of Health.

Soon after the first call came in, other people using the laundromat either went to the hospital or were taken by first responders. None of the injuries were believed to be life threatening, the statement said.

Initial reports indicate that exhaust from a malfunctioning boiler was venting into the laundromat. The statement also said a graffiti degreaser and bleach mixture used to treat clothes and a high concentration of carbon monoxide in the air may also have caused people to become ill.

"The place is shut down until the building inspectors can come in and take a look at it. It could be a few days, it could be a week," said Jerry Samuelson with McKenzie County Emergency Management.

The facility's gas line has been shut off for safety precautions and the facility will remain closed until a full investigation has taken place. Watford City emergency personnel and officials from North Dakota Department of Health's environmental response team were on the scene Sunday evening to further investigate the incident.

Mobile Category: 
News


Copyright © 2013 LexisNexis, a division of Reed Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved. Terms and Conditions | Privacy Policy


Connect: Have a thought or feedback about this? Add your comment now
Related Topics: News, carbon monoxide poisoning

What's Your Take? Comment Now ...

Buyer's Guide Featured Companies

Featured Careers & Jobs in EMS

Get JEMS in Your Inbox

 

Fire EMS Blogs


Blogger Browser

Today's Featured Posts

 

EMS Airway Clinic

Innovation & Advancement

This is the seventh year of the EMS 10 Innovators in EMS program, jointly sponsored by Physio-Control and JEMS.
More >

Multimedia Thumb

Glendale Firefighters Suspended for Punching Patient

Excessive force was used on a combative patient.
Watch It >


Multimedia Thumb

Vancouver Chemical Fire Causes Major Response

Hazmat incident sends smoke over port neighborhood.
Watch It >


Multimedia Thumb

Salt Lake City Firefighters Injured in Firehouse Fire

Nine sent to a hospital with smoke inhalation.
Watch It >


Multimedia Thumb

Pennsylvania Paramedic Killed in the Line of Duty

West End Ambulance medic killed at accident scene.
Watch It >


Multimedia Thumb

Plane Skids off Runway at LaGuardia Airport

Delta flight stops just short of Flushing Bay
More >


Multimedia Thumb

Rigs Going in Service from EMS Today 2015

Snap shots of some of the vehicles at EMS Today that will be on the streets soon
More >


Multimedia Thumb

LMA MAD Nasal™

Needle-free intranasal drug delivery.
Watch It >


Multimedia Thumb

Braun Ambulances' EZ Door Forward

Helps to create a safer ambulance module.
Watch It >


Multimedia Thumb

Field Bridge Xpress ePCR on iPad, Android, Kindle Fire

Sneak peek of customizable run forms & more.
Watch It >


More Product Videos >