Toxic Fumes End EMTs Reception - @ JEMS.com


Toxic Fumes End EMTs Reception


 
 

| Monday, April 7, 2008


NEW YORK -- A New York wedding celebration quickly ended when the newlyweds and their guests breathed in excess amounts of carbon monoxide, the groom said.

George Quenneville, 28, was preparing to cut into his wedding cake Sunday when carbon monoxide overcame the second floor of Dante Caterers hall in Queens, NY, the New York Post reported.

"Everyone was fine. And then, all of a sudden, my brother-in-law, Eddie, comes running out saying, 'Call 911! Your mom is down!' I knocked down tables to get to her," Quenneville told the newspaper.

Quenneville, who is an Emergency Medical Technician, took his mother out of the catering hall and gave her emergency treatment.

Officials said the carbon monoxide level in the building was 500 parts per million. Evacuation is required for anything higher than 100 parts per million, a fire official said.

Two of the 80 people at the reception were hospitalized in serious condition and 41 others received treatment for minor injuries, the New York Daily News reported.




Connect: Have a thought or feedback about this? Add your comment now
Related Topics: Medical Emergencies

What's Your Take? Comment Now ...

Buyer's Guide Featured Companies

Featured Careers & Jobs in EMS

Get JEMS in Your Inbox

 

Fire EMS Blogs


Blogger Browser

Today's Featured Posts

 

EMS Airway Clinic

Improving Survival from Cardiac Arrest Using ACD-CPR + ITD

Using active compression-decompression CPR with an ITD has been shown to improve 1-year survival from cardiac arrest by 33%.
More >

Multimedia Thumb

Philadelphia Fire Department Apologizes for Medic’s Jab at Police

Union head calls photos a slap in the face of officers.
Watch It >


Multimedia Thumb

D.C. Fire and EMS Crews Blame New Technology for Patient’s Death

Delayed response blamed on recurring dispatch problems.
Watch It >


Multimedia Thumb

Suspect Steals, Crashes Maryland Ambulance

One killed, others injured in Prince George’s County crash.
Watch It >


Multimedia Thumb

Tennessee Trench Rescue

Worker pulled from Roane County worksite.
More >


Multimedia Thumb

Time’s Ebola Firefighters

Doctors, nurses and others saluted for fighting virus.
More >


Multimedia Thumb

Car Strikes Manhattan Pedestrians

Seven people hurt when car jumps curb.
More >


Multimedia Thumb

Braun Ambulances' EZ Door Forward

Helps to create a safer ambulance module.
Watch It >


Multimedia Thumb

Field Bridge Xpress ePCR on iPad, Android, Kindle Fire

Sneak peek of customizable run forms & more.
Watch It >


Multimedia Thumb

VividTrac offered by Vivid Medical - EMS Today 2013

VividTrac, affordable high performance video intubation device.
Watch It >


More Product Videos >