Santa Clara County Firefighters, Paramedics Hospitalized After Carbon Monoxide Exposure - @ JEMS.com


Santa Clara County Firefighters, Paramedics Hospitalized After Carbon Monoxide Exposure


 
 

Sandra Gonzales | | Wednesday, January 14, 2009


SANTA CLARA COUNTY, Calif. -- Initially, the call to Santa Clara County dispatch seemed routine enough -- a man was in need of medical attention at the Cupertino City Center Apartments on Stevens Creek Boulevard.

When county firefighters and the American Medical Response ambulance crew arrived, they found the man lying unconscious in the locker room of the complex's pool house.

They began trying to revive the man when suddenly the three firefighters, the three paramedics and the person who discovered the initial patient began feeling woozy.

"They didn't see or smell anything unusual, but then, wow, they began working on the patient and started feeling lightheaded and nauseous," said Kendall Pearson, battalion chief for the Santa Clara County Fire Department. "That pretty much clued them in something was wrong in the space."

After clearing the area, San Jose's hazardous materials team found a high level of carbon monoxide that apparently had been leaking from faulty equipment in the locker room.

Ultimately, eight patients, including the firefighters, paramedics and the two residents, went to three different hospitals. The firefighters were treated and released, but the paramedics and the initial patient remained hospitalized Monday evening, Pearson said. The status of the other resident was not known, he said.

"It's kind of bizarre to have something like this happen," Pearson said.




Connect: Have a thought or feedback about this? Add your comment now
Related Topics: Medical Emergencies

What's Your Take? Comment Now ...

Buyer's Guide Featured Companies

Featured Careers & Jobs in EMS

FEBRUARY 25-28, 2015

Baltimore Convention Center
Baltimore, Maryland USA
THE SHOW IS OPEN!

WEATHER REPORT


 

 

 

 

Get JEMS in Your Inbox

 

Fire EMS Blogs


Blogger Browser

Today's Featured Posts

 

EMS Airway Clinic

Innovation & Advancement

This is the seventh year of the EMS 10 Innovators in EMS program, jointly sponsored by Physio-Control and JEMS.
More >

Multimedia Thumb

Wesleyan Students Hospitalized for Overdose

11 students transported to local hospitals.
Watch It >


Multimedia Thumb

Denver Medic's Family Says Job Stress Contributed to Suicide

Veteran of over 25 years took her own life after a call.
Watch It >


Multimedia Thumb

Denver First Responders Join to Remember Paramedic

Veteran medic took her own life after fatal accident.
Watch It >


Multimedia Thumb

Rigs Going in Service from EMS Today 2015

Snap shots of some of the vehicles at EMS Today that will be on the streets soon
More >


Multimedia Thumb

Florida Hospital Fire

Fire halts construction project at Tampa cancer center.
More >


Multimedia Thumb

The AmbuBus®, Bus Stretcher Conversion Kit - EMS Today 2013

AmbuBus®, Bus Stretcher all-hazards preparedness & response tool
Watch It >


Multimedia Thumb

Field Bridge Xpress ePCR on iPad, Android, Kindle Fire

Sneak peek of customizable run forms & more.
Watch It >


Multimedia Thumb

VividTrac offered by Vivid Medical - EMS Today 2013

VividTrac, affordable high performance video intubation device.
Watch It >


More Product Videos >