FDNY EMTs Rescue Five from Queens Carbon Monoxide Incident - @ JEMS.com


FDNY EMTs Rescue Five from Queens Carbon Monoxide Incident


 
 

Fire Department City of New York | | Friday, January 22, 2010


Members of the EMS Command responded to a call for a sick female on Jan. 19 and ended up saving the lives of five people when they discovered the family s home had high levels of carbon monoxide (CO).

They did an excellent job, they acted very quickly knew exactly what to do, said Capt. Steven Warren from Division 4. The whole job went very smoothly. Had [this condition] gone undetected, this would have been a tragic story.

Lt. Rae Ammirati (Station 54), and EMTs Sherri Fiebert and Kevin Kuck (both from Station 50), responded to a call for a sick female on 156th Street in Queens at 8:28 a.m.

As soon as the members stepped into the residence, the CO detectors they wear on their belts began to sound, indicating readings of 700 ppm - indicating extreme exposure.

The members immediately evacuated the two adults and two children, ages 10 and 7, from the residence. Since they had to leave so quickly, the family did not have time to grab their coats, so the EMTs brought them to the ambulance to administer oxygen treatments.

Capt. Warren, who was called to the scene after the CO levels were detected, then used a RAD meter, which clips onto a victim s finger to determine the level of CO in his or her bloodstream. He said all the victims had high readings, so they were transported to Queens Hospital.

The members also called the local fire company to decontaminate the residence and help urge one remaining member of the family, an elderly man, to evacuate.

Although he had lower levels of CO in his blood than the other members of the family, the man decided to seek treatment and an awaiting ambulance transported him to the hospital.

The cause of the CO exposure was determined to be a faulty boiler.

During the winter months, it is easy to be victim of CO exposure. The FDNY urges all New Yorkers to install CO detectors in their homes.

Read more about how you can prevent CO exposure in the home.




Connect: Have a thought or feedback about this? Add your comment now
Related Topics: Medical Emergencies

What's Your Take? Comment Now ...

Buyer's Guide Featured Companies

Featured Careers & Jobs in EMS

Get JEMS in Your Inbox

 

Fire EMS Blogs


Blogger Browser

Today's Featured Posts

 

EMS Airway Clinic

Improving Survival from Cardiac Arrest Using ACD-CPR + ITD

Using active compression-decompression CPR with an ITD has been shown to improve 1-year survival from cardiac arrest by 33%.
More >

Multimedia Thumb

Tempe’s Drug Dilemma

Dealing with overdoses.
Watch It >


Multimedia Thumb

I’m a Paramedic

Profile of a Northshore LIJ medic.
Watch It >


Multimedia Thumb

Riding with Busy Welsh Ambulances

EMS crews struggle under mounting pressures.
Watch It >


Multimedia Thumb

Albuquerque Unveils New Rescue Unit

Mayor and residents celebrate new ambulance.
Watch It >


Multimedia Thumb

Nightwatch Series Premiere Party

JEMS Editor-in-Chief A.J. Heightman attends the series premiere of A&E's new reality show, "Nightwatch."
More >


Multimedia Thumb

Ottawa Chemical Investigation

Chemicals and suspicious package are probed at two locations
More >


Multimedia Thumb

Cincinnati Overpass Collapse

Fatal pancake collapse occurs during demolition.
More >


Multimedia Thumb

The AmbuBus®, Bus Stretcher Conversion Kit - EMS Today 2013

AmbuBus®, Bus Stretcher all-hazards preparedness & response tool
Watch It >


Multimedia Thumb

LMA MAD Nasal™

Needle-free intranasal drug delivery.
Watch It >


Multimedia Thumb

Field Bridge Xpress ePCR on iPad, Android, Kindle Fire

Sneak peek of customizable run forms & more.
Watch It >


Multimedia Thumb

Braun Ambulances' EZ Door Forward

Helps to create a safer ambulance module.
Watch It >


More Product Videos >