11 Hospitalized in Gas Leak - @ JEMS.com


11 Hospitalized in Gas Leak


 
 

Julie Scharper | | Friday, November 28, 2008


COLUMBIA, Md. -- Eleven people were hospitalized after they suffered carbon monoxide poisoning at a Columbia hotel last night, Howard County fire authorities said. The fire department was called to the Sheraton hotel near The Mall in Columbia around 6:15 p.m. for a carbon monoxide leak, fire spokeswoman Anna Hoffman said.

Guests, including many parents and children visiting for a youth hockey tournament, were evacuated from the 10-story hotel and 26 people were found to have suffered from mild carbon monoxide poisoning, Hoffman said.

Eleven people were taken to hospitals and 15 were treated by paramedics outside the hotel, which is in the 10200 block of Wincopin Circle, Hoffman said.

About 9:30 p.m., dozens of people remained outside the hotel, huddling in bunches or sitting in their cars to stay warm.

Lisa and Tom Whelan of Bergen County, N.J., said that they were staying at the hotel with their four children because their 11-year-old son, Alex, was playing at the International Silver Sticks hockey tournament in Columbia this morning.

Fire officials shut off the carbon monoxide leak, which they determined came from a laundry room, and were ventilating the building so that guests could return, Hoffman said. She did not have other details on the leak's source.

The families huddled outside said that this would be a Thanksgiving they would not forget.

"At least we were all together," said Tom Whelan. "That's what really matters."




Connect: Have a thought or feedback about this? Add your comment now
Related Topics: Medical Emergencies

What's Your Take? Comment Now ...

Buyer's Guide Featured Companies

Featured Careers & Jobs in EMS

FEBRUARY 25-28, 2015

Baltimore Convention Center
Baltimore, Maryland USA
THE SHOW IS OPEN!

WEATHER REPORT


 

 

 

 

Get JEMS in Your Inbox

 

Fire EMS Blogs


Blogger Browser

Today's Featured Posts

 

EMS Airway Clinic

Innovation & Advancement

This is the seventh year of the EMS 10 Innovators in EMS program, jointly sponsored by Physio-Control and JEMS.
More >

Multimedia Thumb

Wesleyan Students Hospitalized for Overdose

11 students transported to local hospitals.
Watch It >


Multimedia Thumb

Denver Medic's Family Says Job Stress Contributed to Suicide

Veteran of over 25 years took her own life after a call.
Watch It >


Multimedia Thumb

Denver First Responders Join to Remember Paramedic

Veteran medic took her own life after fatal accident.
Watch It >


Multimedia Thumb

Rigs Going in Service from EMS Today 2015

Snap shots of some of the vehicles at EMS Today that will be on the streets soon
More >


Multimedia Thumb

Florida Hospital Fire

Fire halts construction project at Tampa cancer center.
More >


Multimedia Thumb

VividTrac offered by Vivid Medical - EMS Today 2013

VividTrac, affordable high performance video intubation device.
Watch It >


Multimedia Thumb

The AmbuBus®, Bus Stretcher Conversion Kit - EMS Today 2013

AmbuBus®, Bus Stretcher all-hazards preparedness & response tool
Watch It >


Multimedia Thumb

LMA MAD Nasal™

Needle-free intranasal drug delivery.
Watch It >


Multimedia Thumb

Field Bridge Xpress ePCR on iPad, Android, Kindle Fire

Sneak peek of customizable run forms & more.
Watch It >


More Product Videos >