ELDRED, Pa. - The Eldred Borough Ambulance building went up in flames, and both ambulances along with it, due to an electrical fire early Sunday morning.
A fire broke out at the building, which sits across from the Eldred Borough Volunteer Fire Department Hall on Platt Street, at about 12:30 a.m. when an electrical cord shorted out while plugged into the borough s two ambulances to keep them charged, a borough firefighter said Sunday evening. The scorched metal shell of the building was all that remained of it afterward.
It was the ambulance building. We just moved our ambulance crew over from the main fire hall, said Tom Freer, a member of the fire department. It housed two ambulances, a classroom and the office for the ambulance personnel.
No injuries occurred, but both ambulances were rendered unusable due to smoke and fire damage.
Each ambulance will cost $130,000 to replace, Mr. Freer said. An estimate of the total damage done will not come until an insurance adjuster visits today.
A Pennsylvania State Police fire marshal arrived Sunday after the fire and ruled it both electrical and accidental in nature.
Fire departments that assisted at the scene included Bradford City, Star Hose Co., Eldred Township, Smethport, Otto Township and Shinglehouse, as well as New York state departments from Portville, Weston s Mills, the town of Olean, Allegany and Limestone. Officials said Knapp Creek, N.Y., and Roulette firefighters were on stand-by.
Officials noted that until new equipment arrives, Star Hose Co., based in Port Allegany, and the Otto Township Volunteer Fire Department will have to handle Eldred Borough s coverage area when emergencies arise.
We do have a converted ambulance ... while we wait for the (new) ambulances in the meantime, Mr. Freer said. It can t transport (patients), but it ll be a first-response vehicle to get a patient ready for a second vehicle to take them to the hospital.