This free 50-minute video program from the Firefighters Support Foundation is presented by Dr. Ellen Kirschman, one of the best-known first responder psychologists in the nation and author of I Love a Firefighter and I Love a Cop. In this program, Dr. Kirschman discusses the following questions and others regarding line-of-duty deaths (LODDs).
- This video includes:
- How is the death of a first responder different?
- What can families do to prepare for a LODD?
- How is it different to lose a first responder parent?
- What is the grieving process?
- What makes it worse for a first responder’s family?
- What advice do you have for the family regarding media coverage?
- How should a family deal with the ongoing aftermath?
- Should the family allow footage of the incident to be used as a training film?
- Should the family listen to the last radio transmission of the deceased?
- How should the family prepare for LODD anniversaries?,
- How much help should colleagues offer?
- What advice do you have for management?,
- What about unhappy or separated families?
About the Firefighters Support Foundation
The Firefighters Support Foundation is a 501(c)(3) tax-exempt non-profit organization dedicated to assisting firefighters, emergency management, EMS, and Search & Rescue personnel perform their jobs effectively and safely. We also set aside a portion of our funds to aid underfunded agencies and assist families of fallen firefighters.
CLICK HERE for more information and other training programs.