Odor Causes Maine Hotel Evacuation


 
 

| Friday, August 7, 2009


BANGOR, Maine - People were evacuated from a Bangor, Maine, motel after an odor was noticed and six people, including four firefighters, were sent to the hospital with respiratory problems.



Shortly after the 9 p.m. Thursday evacuation at the Howard Johnson Inn, several of the guests forced outside by the odor could be seen in a decontamination tent outside the motel's main entrance. Some were coughing and choking.



Assistant Fire Chief Darrell Cyr told the Bangor Daily News the fire department was called to the motel for reports of an acrid odor, which he described as "very pungent."



Despite searching both floors of the inn for nearly three hours, he said, firefighters were unable to determine the source of the odor.



A hotel worker estimated there were about 100 people at the motel.

___



Information from: Bangor Daily News, http://www.bangornews.com




Connect: Have a thought or feedback about this? Add your comment now
Related Topics: Airway and Respiratory, Medical Emergencies, Special Operations, Patient Management

What's Your Take? Comment Now ...

Featured Careers & Jobs in EMS





 

Get JEMS in Your Inbox

 

Fire EMS Blogs


Blogger Browser

Today's Featured Posts

 

EMS Airway Clinic

Simulation-Based Assessment Facilitates Learning & Enhances Clinical Judgment

Simulation is an educational tool that can be used to develop and refine clinical skills of the student in a controlled environment before they progress to becoming practicing clinicians.
More >

Multimedia Thumb

REMSA Programs Helps Reduce Hospital Visits

Community paramedic effort goes into service.
Watch It >


Multimedia Thumb

City Official Challenges San Francisco Fire Chief

Ambulance response times among problems noted by city supervisor.
Watch It >


Multimedia Thumb

Texas Ambulance Crash

Victoria ambulance collides with civilian vehicle.
Watch It >


Multimedia Thumb

Colorado Medics Ditch Pants for Kilts

“Real men do wear kilts.”
Watch It >


Multimedia Thumb

CO Leak at Illinois School

Girard incident sends over 130 to hospitals.
More >


Multimedia Thumb

Hands On September 2014

Who gets thumbs up this month?
More >


Multimedia Thumb

NYC Sept. 11 Anniversary

View images from the ceremony at Ground Zero.
More >


Multimedia Thumb

LMA MAD Nasal™

Needle-free intranasal drug delivery.
Watch It >


Multimedia Thumb

The AmbuBus®, Bus Stretcher Conversion Kit - EMS Today 2013

AmbuBus®, Bus Stretcher all-hazards preparedness & response tool
Watch It >


Multimedia Thumb

Braun Ambulances' EZ Door Forward

Helps to create a safer ambulance module.
Watch It >


More Product Videos >